Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Blog Post #11 What I Learned from EOTO #2

 For this EOTO, I learned various new terms and concepts from my classmates that I have never heard of before. The two presentations I found most interesting were about false flags and the gatekeeping theory.


False flags was an entirely new concept to me, and I was especially fascinated to find out that they are still an issue in our world today. The idea of false flags is when a country uses a flag that is not their own. The purpose of a false flag operation is typically to manipulate public opinion or to justify an aggressive action against a targeted group or country. People will usually commit horrific crimes while carrying the flag of their rivals or while costumed as their military, in order to turn the rival country's population against each other. In turn, the country that actually committed the crime will receive more support. The impact of false flags can be significant,  because if a false flag operation is successful in deceiving the public, it can be used to justify military action or other aggressive measures against that particular targeted country or organization. 

It was surprising to hear that even the United States is suspected to have completed a false flag operation. Apparently, the U.S. claimed to have a battle with Vietnam when it did not really happen in order to get the Americans more passionate about going to war with Vietnam. 


Additionally, I have already known about the gatekeeping theory before this EOTO, however, this concept has always amazed me by its relevance to our society. In my opinion, I believe this theory is based around people wanting other people to fail for them to succeed in a way. For example, someone could find this awesome product that treats all acne, but they won't tell anyone about it for various reasons. 1. They want their skin to be looking the best compared to everyone else because of competitive reasons. 2. If they tell people about it and it becomes popular, they don't want it to be sold out in stores so they cannot get it anymore or to become potentially expensive. However, the gatekeeping theory doesn't only revolve around good products or places that people want to keep secret, it also is very relevant in politics. Certain news sources that remain on a certain political spectrum, may only include information that makes their viewpoint stronger, while knowing other certain important information that the public should know, they may choose not to include because it may lead the audience in different directions. 


The way this theory was presented in class is that certain information gets passed along various filters, or"gates" before it reaches an intended audience. For example, journalists and publishers typically get to decide what's stories get covered, and what stories will never reach the public. But, sometimes when the information does get passed down, it goes through these gates of people deciding what to include and what not to include for their own self reward. In everyday interactions, friends decide which news to share with each other. Another social example of gatekeeping is a personal one where I had a friend who knew I was getting cheated on by my boyfriend, but she chose not to say anything because telling me that information, though it would benefit me, did not benefit her. This theory all in all, leads to corruption and is something society needs to move forward from. I really like how this theory was presented, it caught my eye and made me pay close attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog Post #12

 In What Ways Does Social Media Platforms Act as So-Called "Disruptive Technologies"?  Disruptive technologies are innovations tha...